flowers

flowers
Sketch: a rough or unfinished drawing or painting, often made to assist with making a finished picture.

My name is Tessa. This is my blog. It's always under construction.

So, it changes a lot. But you may find a few things that will remain consistent. Like:

5. I like quotes, books, and art.
4. I love pretty things and old things.
3. I'm learning how to cook, and do other grown up things, very slowly.
2. My friends are the apple to my pie.
1. It's all about Jesus. Most importantly, it's all about Him.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Shy Evangelist

It was a sunny day 4 years ago that I walked onto a college campus as a freshman and decided "Yes, I will go persuade others about Jesus." 

I was shy and unconfident but had never been more sure of anything in my life


It had been one week since my campus minister had invited those who were interested at the Church to do what they called "Persuading Others", based on 2 Corinthians 5:11:



"Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade others."



I had no idea how to "persuade" anyone about much of anything, much less that the God of the universe was real and loved them. That being said,  I figured on my first day of this Persuading Others thing I would be an observer... just watch and see how it all played out. My confidence was only in that: I should do this, not that I could this. 

I don't remember much about my first try at intentional evangelism. My campus minister had started a conversation about Jesus with a stranger. I was very impressed that it was semi-normal and not quite as awkward as I expected. It had only been a few minutes and I was trying to keep up and process words like inerrancy, individualism, and many "ism's" I didn't know were even words. Suddenly, in the middle of their dialogue, I heard something that made me want to RUN and HIDE.

"My good friend Tessa here is going to share her story with you." 

Suddenly all eyes were on me and time seemed to s-l-o-w-d-o-w-n. I did my best to on-the-spot sum up how Jesus had changed my disastrously messed up life and why this was even relevant for an absolute stranger to hear. "I'm doing it for Jesus, because He gave me everything" I felt my heart cry. My mouth on the other hand, made much less sense.

 I don't remember the stranger's response, but I clearly remember my campus minister saying afterwards, "Let me tell you why that was great." The next thing I knew, was that I, little shy-girl, barely-18-from-small-town-nowhere-TX, could share the gospel. 

Fast forward 4 years and I'm interning with Every Nation Ministries. For the first time in my life, I was taught how to live out the Bible practically and in the context of discipleship and community. My perspective on being a Christian is forever changed for the best. 

No one has ever told me I have the gift of evangelism. I don't have to be well spoken or extremely outgoing. I still share my story slowly and with a country twang. I still get nervous. In fact, I'm not even sure what "giftings" I naturally have. I just continue to say "YES" to God. 

I cannot NOT share my story. I cannot NOT share the gospel. It is the goodnews that people need to hear. It is the truth that has been exchanged for a lie, but that is being redeemed through believers with faith in the One who can save and are obeying the call to "GO, therefore and make disciples..." 






No comments:

Post a Comment